Richland County SC Cultural Resources Inventory Listing
George P. Hoffman House
S.C. Secondary Road 54 Blythewood SC 29045
Historic District:
Area:

Description: The George P. Hoffman House is the oldest building in the present-day town of Blythewood and houses Blythewood's Town Hall.

Historic Information
Year Built: 1855 Acres: 0.89
# Buildings: 1
Architect: Unknown
Historic Register: Yes Year: 1986 NR#: 86000586
National Historic Landmark: No

Local Historic Designation:

Year Designated:

Period of Significance: 1800-1899
Cultural or Historic Significance: African-American Influence
Historical Topics: Architecture, Community Development, Doko, George Hoffman, Slavery, Black History
The George P. Hoffman House, reputedly built ca. 1855, is the oldest building in the present-day town of Blythewood (now the Blythewood Town Hall) and is significant for its association with the early development of the community.

The construction of the house preceded Blythewood. A settlement known as Doko developed in this area around a stop of the Charlotte and South Carolina Railroad line, which was completed in 1852. In 1879, the village was incorporated as the Town of Blythewood and in 1918 Blythewood was included in a section of Fairfield County that was added to Richland County.

The original owner, George P. Hoffman was a native of North Carolina. In 1860, Hoffman owned six slaves and was farming 34 acres. By 1870, he was operating a substantial sawmill that employed an average of twelve hands.

The house was built by George Peter Hoffman for his new bride, Jane Ruff Hoffman. The Hoffmans were married in 1854 and reared eleven children in the home. The original house consisted of the front three rooms which are hand beveled, tongue-in-groove, random width heart pine timber from floor to ceiling for a height of 15ft. 4 in. When the family expanded, the rear section of the home was added, which is believed to be a tenant house that was simply moved and attached to the rear of the original home.

The house is a one-story braced-frame Greek Revival style residence that has been enlarged and remodeled in several phases, but the original structure is largely intact. The house has a central, five-bay block with weatherboard siding and a masonry foundation. A pedimented porch spans the three central bays of the façade. This porch has paneled piers and flushboard siding. The central entrance has a rectangular transom and sidelights.

Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986.
Thematic Resource:
Primary Historic Use / Function: : Domestic
Secondary Historic Use / Function: Single Dwelling
Present Uses / Functions: Government Occupancy:
Contact Organization:
Space Available: No Commercial Office Residential
Source: National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form; South Carolina Department of Archives and History (digital images)
Printable Photo Gallery
Richland County SC Cultural Resources Inventory
Richland County Conservation Commission

Columbia, South Carolina