Richland County SC Cultural Resources Inventory Listing
Goodwill Plantation
US Highway 378 Eastover SC 29044
Historic District:
Area: Eastover vicinity

Description: Goodwill Plantation was one of the first attempts in South Carolina to reclaim low-lying land for agricultural use. Today, it is mainly used for timber production and as a hunting and fishing preserve.

Historic Information
Year Built: 1795 Acres: 3285.71
# Buildings: 12
Architect: Unknown
Historic Register: Yes Year: 1986 NR#: 86000528
National Historic Landmark: No

Local Historic Designation: Richland Cty. Landmark

Year Designated:

Period of Significance: 1767-1920
Cultural or Historic Significance: Civil War, ,
Historical Topics: Architecture, Agriculture, Industry, Social History, Slavery, Plantation, Convict Labor, Civil War, Ethnic History, Tenant Farming
Goodwill Plantation is significant as a substantial portion of a large tract that was developed as a plantation beginning ca. 1795. Goodwill’s extant resources illustrate the many uses made of the plantation through almost two hundred years of changing social and economic conditions.

Much of the plantation that became known as Goodwill was consolidated by Daniel Huger by ca. 1795. The earliest extant resources at Goodwill appear to be a millpond and a portion of the canal irrigation system (ca. 1827), one of the first attempts in the state to reclaim low-lying land for agricultural use. A modest, one-story, frame building known as the overseer’s house (ca. 1857) survives from the period of the Hugers.

Edward Barnwell Heyward purchased Goodwill in 1858. During the Civil War, Richland County tax records indicate that several of Heyward’s relatives paid taxes on large numbers of slaves, but not on land. Apparently family slaves were sent to Goodwill from the family’s lowcountry plantations to wait out the war. It is estimated that as many as 976 slaves resided at Goodwill during the war. Extant resources from the Heyward’s occupation include a two-and-one-half-story frame mill building (ca. 1857-1870) and two slave cabins (ca. 1858).

Other buildings include a blacksmith shop built after the Civil War, the main house constructed sometime in the late nineteenth century and a lodge constructed sometime between 1910 and 1935. Goodwill also contains a carriage house, tenant house, barn and corn crib.

Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986.
Thematic Resource:
Primary Historic Use / Function: : Agriculture, Domestic, Industry
Secondary Historic Use / Function: Manufacturing Facility, Processing, Secondary
Present Uses / Functions: Commercial Occupancy:
Contact Organization:
Space Available: No Commercial Office Residential
Source: National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form; South Carolina Department of Archives and History (digital images); Lower Richland County Multiple Resource Area (MPS019)
Printable Photo Gallery
Richland County SC Cultural Resources Inventory
Richland County Conservation Commission

Columbia, South Carolina