Richland County SC Cultural Resources Inventory Listing
Barber House
S.C. Secondary Road 37 Hopkins SC 29061
Historic District:
Area: Hopkins community

Description: The Barber House was built on land purchased by former slaves, Samuel Barber and his wife Harriet. The land on which the Barber House is located has remained in the same family since 1872. The numerous additions made to the house reflected the growing prosperity of this family in the years after the Civil War.

Historic Information
Year Built: 1880, 1927, 1930 Acres: 0.25
# Buildings: 1
Architect: Unknown
Historic Register: Yes Year: 1986 NR#: 86000531
National Historic Landmark: No

Local Historic Designation: Richland Cty. Landmark

Year Designated:

Period of Significance: 1875-1899
Cultural or Historic Significance: African-American Influence
Historical Topics: African American, Black History, Freedman, South Carolina Land Commission, Ethnic History - Black, Farming, Cotton
The Barber House, which according to family tradition was constructed ca. 1880 and expanded in the early twentieth century, is significant for its association during the late nineteenth century with the South Carolina Land Commission, a unique attempt by a southern state to give freedmen the opportunity to own land.

Although many freedmen eventually lost their land, the land on which the Barber House is located has remained in the same family since 1872. The numerous additions made to the house in the early 20th century reflect the growing prosperity of this African American family in the years after the Civil War.

In 1872, Samuel Barber, a former slave, purchased the forty-two and one-half acre lot. In 1879, his wife, Harriet, also a former slave, made the final payment and received title to the property. According to family tradition, Samuel Barber founded St. John’s Baptist Church near Hopkins. After the deaths of Samuel Barber in 1891 and Harriet Barber in 1899, their son John and his wife Mamie Holly lived in the house, where they raised eleven children. In addition to farming the property, John Barber was a public school teacher for approximately forty-five years and a Baptist preacher for over sixty years. The house has remained in the Barber family.

It is a rectangular, one-story, frame building with weatherboard siding. Various additions have been made to the rear of the house more than doubling the size of the building.

Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986.
Thematic Resource:
Primary Historic Use / Function: : Domestic
Secondary Historic Use / Function: Single Dwelling
Present Uses / Functions: Private Residence Occupancy: Occupied
Contact Organization:
Space Available: No Commercial Office Residential
Source: National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form; South Carolina Department of Archives and History (digital images); Lower Richland County Multiple Resource Area (MPS019)
Printable Photo Gallery
Richland County SC Cultural Resources Inventory
Richland County Conservation Commission

Columbia, South Carolina